If you want to learn how to teach a dog to crawl, you are certainly at the right place. You can teach many things to your dog, and one of those includes teaching them to crawl.
Dogs, unlike humans, learn to walk first and human babies, in comparison, start to crawl and then walk. It is an enjoyable process to teach your dog how to crawl and this entire process will also increase the fun level in your relationship with your dog.
How to Teach a Dog to Crawl – An Easy Step-by-Step Guide
Dogs are among those pets who can learn from observations. So if you want to teach them, kindly be with us in our article. Here you will learn the easy and simple way. Also, this process will be effective as dogs are quick learners too.
Necessary Arrangements Required
It would help if you made some necessary arrangements to learn how do you train a dog to crawl.
So, the following three points that you should take care of are:
- Reward: Give an impression to your dog that after the exercise, he will have some pieces of a pea, carrot, sweet potato, apple, or any food that he likes. After that, the dog will understand that he will have a reward in case of good behavior. By doing so, he will urge to do well in the exercise.
- Concentration: Concentration is an essential factor. Therefore, choose a place where your dog can fully concentrate on the exercise.
- Proper Space & Time: Keep the exercise sessions small and give the dog enough time to absorb the exercise and understand the whole situation. Also, avoid pro-long exercises or too much repetition because this will make your dog exhausted.
Steps to Teach your Dog to Crawl
The starting position of crawling is lying, so it is important to teach your dog how to lie down.
- Lie Down: The first thing for the crawl is to have your dog lie down, as this is the starting position of a crawl. To lie your dog down easily, follow the three easy steps.
- The first thing you have to do is to put on a collar.
- Second, keep your dog in a sitting position. Stand beside the dog on the right side so that your hand can easily reach your dog collar.
- Third, start with your “verbal down command.” This means you have to use a mixture of your gesture along with the vocal command at the start. Standing next to your dog, with a treat in your right hand, put the reward on the ground. Then with your left hand on the collar, push the dog towards the ground with your “verbal command” to put the dog in the sitting position so that the dog can synchronize the gesture with the verbal command.
After the dog is in the lying position, this is the time to let the dog act on how to crawl.
- Dog Crawling: Once your dog is lying down, stand in front of the dog in a squat-down position with a treat in your hand. Keep the treat low to the ground and say, “crawl.” Your dog should crawl, trying to get the treat from you.
- Synchronization: Otherwise, you have to repeat the above steps better to synchronize your dog’s understanding with your commands.
- Increase Distance: Gradually increase the distance once the dog understands the crawl command.
As we said before, dogs are excellent and quick learners. Therefore, after following all the steps mentioned above, you will enjoy yourself with your pet.
These are the few tricks by which we can train our dogs. These are not limited. You can also learn How to teach a dog to army crawl and there can be much more depending upon how you want to enjoy yourself with your dog. Fifty-two tricks to teach your dog will also help you prepare your dogs’ many tricks.
If you want to learn more tricks, follow our articles. Also, we have provided many more articles that will guide you on How to teach a dog to speak, How to teach a dog to crawl backward. You can also contact us to request other techniques in your mind to provide you with a better solution.
Above, we have mentioned a series of steps on how to teach a dog to crawl. All these steps will increase the bonding between you and your dog. Additionally, you will spend some extra time with your dog.
Make sure to reward them at the end of any activity. This will give excitement to the dog, and your dog will want to learn more and more. Moreover, engage your dog in short and easy exercises.
Give your dog time to understand these steps and make this time enjoyable for your dog.
Also, check out our other article about:
Top 8 Best Toys for German Shepherd – The Ultimate Review
Lifespan of a German Shepherd: How Long does a German Shepherd live?
Leave a Reply